Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wisconsin Apples

It is apple season. The orchards of Gays Mills were high on my list while we were in Wisconsin last week. We got to explore several orchards and taste apple slush, apple cider and fresh apple donuts. We brought some apples home and I have been eating them as a substitute for my cookie addition. I still prefer a cookie, but the apples are good. Yesterday was cold and damp so I was motivated to find an apple dessert that is not as heavy with the large quantities of butter and brown sugar that I love. Surprisingly, I have never made baked apples, but I found a couple of recipes, combined them and warmed up the oven. I stuffed them with raisins, cinnamon, and small dabs of brown sugar and butter. The baked apples were yummy and a much lighter version of my favorite apple dessert.

No comments: