Friday, October 24, 2008

Rainy Friday Afternoon

I have an apple pie in the oven and it's just 2 pm. It's a rainy day and I have the luxury of a Friday afternoon off work. I dug out my favorite pie recipe. It's printed on notebook paper with yellowed wrinkled edges. The recipe is hand written by my friend, Michele and dated by me; September 1987. Amazing that I am old enough to have yellowed recipes that were written by me! This pie is typically an annual event for me. I enjoy getting out the rolling pin and making a mess with flour. It's also fun for me to try to peel the entire apple while keeping the peel in one spiral. I have passed the recipe to family members and it has become a favorite. I am going to make a pot of chicken tortilla soup and Dale is coming over. It's a very good Friday so far. Here's the recipe in case you are interested:
Apple Crumb Pie
Single Crust:
1/3 c. flour
1/2 c. crisco
1/2 t. salt
3 T. water (iced with a touch of vinegar)
Mix first three ingredients with fork until pea sized then add water a tablespoon at a time to form ball. It may take more water. Roll out on flour.
Pie:
5-7 apples peeled and sliced. I often use more. Place apples in pie shell.
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. cinnamon (I use more)
Pour cinnamon and sugar on apples.
Topping:
3/4 c. flour
1/3 c. butter
1/3 c. sugar
Mix with a fork and sprinkle on pie. Bake at 400 degrees for forty minutes or more.

No comments: