Sunday, October 26, 2008

Two Game Saturday

It was a gorgeous day for football on Saturday. Dale and I had planned to go to the Drake game. We go to most of the Drake home games. Early in the week Dale's friend, Greg offered us an invitation to go with him to the Iowa State game on Saturday night. He had a couple of tickets to share. We enjoy going to Jack Trice Stadium in Ames and the forecast was good, so we said, "Yes."

I have never been to two football games in one day, but I felt up to the challenge. It is a very different atmosphere at each stadium. Drake stadium is more intimate and quiet. There are fewer spectators and plenty of room to move around. Dale and I often move from one area to another to get a different photo angle or get more comfortable depending on the sun and wind. Drake won their game on Saturday and it was a good game.

I went to my first ISU football game in 2002 when Ashley was a freshman and I traveled to the Iowa State campus to visit her for parent weekend. I enjoyed the atmosphere and energy. The stadium is often packed. The fans are vocal and sometimes very loud. The marching band does a great job and add greatly to the atmosphere throughout the entire game, not just half time.

I try to go to a football game at Jack Trice Stadium each year and Greg's invitation was a perfect opportunity. The game started out great but in the end ISU struggled and lost the game. We were surrounded by very vocal fans who had lots to say about the coaching and the plays. I learned some very interesting phrases but most should not be repeated. They were passionate about their football. The people watching was excellent.

Dale and I survived our football Saturday and had a great time. We wore our Drake Blue for the first game then added a layer for the ISU game wearing the appropriate colors and logo. The evening did cool off but not as cold as the forecast predicted. We were comfortable. Well, we were not cold. I do admit to a case of "bleacher butt" that was cured by the walk back to the car. It was a great October day.

No comments: