Sunday, December 21, 2008

Nutcrackers at Christmas

Nutcrackers have become one of my favorite things! In 1987 I took Jay and Ashley to see the Nutcracker Ballet in Ames on the Iowa State Campus. Ashley was enchanted by the production and the nutcracker. (Jay was fairly bored until I pointed out that if he turned around he could watch the lighting guys with all their equipment.) So that year when Ashley was just three and a half, I purchased her first nutcracker at Younkers for $7. As I learned more about nutcrackers and the German versions, I purchased more for her over the years. She didn't get a nutcracker every year but she did get many! About ten years ago I realized that someday when she left home she may want to take her nutcrackers with her. I couldn't imagine decorating for Christmas without these noble wooden soldiers and kings to stand guard on the mantle, so I kept the white and blue king for myself. Ashley contributed the two on the right to my collection during her college years. Travis gave me the red trumpeter when they were dating. Last year Dale gave me the brown horseman on the left to join the others. So when Ashley and Travis got married last year I was able to delivered her collection to their home and still have my own nutcracker display at Christmas!

1 comment:

Ashley Schrage said...

I'm glad for my nutcracker collection! I feel sad yours is smaller now.