Monday, December 22, 2008

Family Nativity

When I was a young mother, my mom offered to buy me a nativity for a Christmas gift. I looked around and decided that this was my choice because it seemed unbreakable, but yet did not look too plastic. I wanted my children to be able to play with the figures. I hoped that they would use the nativity in a way that would bring the Christmas story alive for them. They did play with it and we added some animals, musicians, shepherds and wise men over the years. Often baby Jesus was found in the arms of Mary (as shown) rather than in the manger. The baby Jesus would often be missing, hidden some special place till Christmas. The nativity did become an important tradition in our family, both of my kids enjoying and appreciating it while voicing the desire to have that someday. So years ago I started buying a piece each year for each child. The first year Jay and Ashley got the baby Jesus. The next year I gave them Mary followed by Joseph the following year. Because they were always the same and in the same size box, Jay would look at Ashley's then not bother to unwrap his. Ashley has her nativity set up in her home this year. Jay's is still in one of those big boxes in my garage, some of the figures still gift wrapped. He doesn't have room in his apartment, but he knows where to find it when he is ready.

2 comments:

Kris Hoskinson said...

that is so great. i love the traditions you created with your kids. inspires me to think about doing some of those type of things!

Lindsey said...

I love it! For Hudson's birthday our close friends bought him a nativity set that is for kids. It is made by Little People and is so cool. He has been playing with it all season. When you have grandbabies you should look into it. Merry Christmas!!