Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Duck Boot

This boot has been in the family for years. It was a birthday gift to Ashley from a good friend. She also had a very cute yellow rain coat to match. She wore the boots as she joyfully stomped through puddles of rain water or muddy fields near our home in Mason City. Several years after she had grown too big for the boots, I found plastic glasses just the right size to fit into the boots. I filled them with soil and planted flowers each spring. I learned to fill the foot of the boots with rocks so they were not top heavy. One year when a boot blew off the deck in the wind, I decided to wait till the next day to retrieve the boot. Sadly it was gone, must have been taken by a neighborhood dog. Now there is just one duck boot, but each year I replace the soil and plant something to decorate my deck or patio. The boot makes me smile and remember the joy of a little blonde Ashley stomping through fresh rain water on Field Road.

No comments: