Sunday, October 3, 2010

Vacation Food

When Dale and I travel, food is a part of the discovery. This trip to Wisconsin and Minnesota was no different. When we saw "World's Best Donuts" in Grand Marais on the North Shore we decided that it would be our first stop the next morning. There was quite a line out the door on a Thursday morning but it was well worth the wait. We carried our donuts to the shore, sat on a big rock and enjoyed the early morning sunlight over Lake Superior.


In Wisconsin I just had to have cheese curds. We had the best fried cheese curds ever at Bayside Tavern in Fish Creek. The next day when we were traveling across Wisconsin toward Minnesota we stumbled on this little dairy along the road and stopped for fresh cheese curds. There was a little lady wearing a hair net and bagging the curds behind the counter. They were squeaky fresh cheese curds and so yummy! My friend, Michele, grew up in Wisconsin and taught be about cheese curds. If they are fresh, they will squeak when you bite into them. These were so fresh that the squeaked against my teeth before the first bite! It was a delicious car lunch and so Wisconsin.


Door County fish boils are a tradition and quite a spectacle. It wasn't my favorite vacation meal but the production is impressive. It was fun evening. I also love the fudge shop and confectionery in Door County and those goodies lasted the entire trip. It was cool enough out that the fudge didn't even melt in the car. How perfect is that? We also bought honey crisp apples at a farmer's market in Port Washington that lasted most of the trip. They were a tasty treat when we got to the car each morning and saved us from the pathetic hotel breakfasts.
Frozen custard and ice cream always taste great in Wisconsin. In an effort to maintain one of my doctor's recommendations even while on vacation I worked hard to keep up my calcium intake while in the dairy state. Yes, we did eat our way through vacation. We were quite active hiking and walking but I am sure that I will have quite an adjustment to get back to healthy eating. Today when I go to the grocery store I will buy spinach, apples, broccoli and yogurt instead of cheese and ice cream I enjoyed on vacation. I better get to the gym today too!

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Now I'm totally psyched to go to Wisconsin this weekend! =) Cheese curds, honey crisp apples (my favorite!) and fall weather. Doesn't get any better than that! Glad you had so much fun!!

Anonymous said...

Great photos ~ all of them!! I think that's why we loved the Midwest :-)

BTW ~ PA has cheese curds...
http://www.septemberfarmcheese.com/catalog/cheese/cheese-curds

Cheers!
Dennis-n-Peg