Friday, May 22, 2009

Morels From Jen

Dale and I tried to find some morels a couple of weeks ago but we were unsuccessful. Wednesday I got a wonderful surprise from my co-worker, Jen. She had a very successful mushroom hunt the day before and brought her harvest to share with me. They were absolutely gorgeous. This photo was a "set up." I propped a few mushrooms up on some toothpicks stuck in the dirt.



Dale and I had separate plans for the evening but a quick text to ask if he would like to photograph and eat mushrooms changed that. He was so gracious to delay his lawn mowing for me. He had butter and a cast iron skillet so I headed to his house with eggs, flour, garlic and crackers.
We had several suggestions for cooking methods and I wanted to try a couple. The common ingredients were mushrooms and butter so everything tasted delicious. It was great to learn more about morels. I had never experienced cooking them. Although I had eaten them with other things, I had not seen or handled the uncooked mushrooms. They were more sturdy than I had expected. They really are amazing things, so intricate and delicious! Thank you, Jen!

No comments: