Monday, May 25, 2009

First Fishing Day of the Summer

The holiday weekend seemed like a great time to go buy our fishing licenses for this year then head out to enjoy the water and sunshine. Two years ago I went fishing for the first time in about twenty years. Dale took me to Q Pond which is about an hour south of here. That was free fishing day in Iowa. I caught a huge bass. It was much bigger than this one that Dale caught yesterday. It really was! My brother said, "That's a helluva fish, Lin!" That's quite a compliment from Dan. Saturday Dale and I headed to Q Pond and it was his turn to catch the big one for the day. It was pretty exciting to watch him pull it in and get to grab a photo quickly before he released it back to the water.

This was my catch for the day! Even a little bluegill can be fun to catch. We have gone fishing every summer but Saturday was the first time we got night crawlers together. I had not baited a hook since my kids were very little. I taught Jay how bait a hook at a very young age, so he took care of that. I could have asked Dale to bait it for me. I knew he would do it, but I figure asking him to take the fish off the hook is enough. Yes, Dale rescued this tiny fish from my hook! But I did bait the hook. Dang, I had forgotten how those worms squirm while being sacrificed for my fishing pleasure. It's pretty gross so I try to do it quickly.


As much as I do enjoy the fishing, the best part is to be outside and near the water. We sat on a little dock at Q Pond and I loved the chance to dangle my feet in the water. The sun was shining and it was so peaceful. We watched the sky as the clouds rolled in and the thunder started. After the thunder got louder, Dale mentioned that it might be time to pick up. We reeled in our lines, picked up the tackle boxes and got in the car just seconds before the rain drops started. It quickly changed to a downpour with small hail. We laughed and enjoyed our excellent timing. After the rain let up some we headed back toward home and stopped to fish at Maffit Reservoir. We caught a couple of very small fish there before the thunder sent us to the car. Again it started to rain just seconds after we got packed up and in the car. We got lucky again. It felt like a kick off to summer.

No comments: