Friday, October 19, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup

I just spent almost an hour chopping vegetables for soup. A co-worker gave me a recipe and since I had purchased a butternut squash from a little Amish lady, it seemed like the perfect meal for tonight. Lincoln is coming for dinner while his mommy and daddy have a date. It's mostly squash with a little carrot, potato, onion and celery. I didn't realize what I was getting into when I started but its a very good thing that I made the soup this morning, long before Lincoln arrives. I have never peeled and cubed a butternut squash. I probably didn't do it the best way, but that was hard work. I am sure that I burned more calories wrestling with that squash than I did when I was cleaning my kitchen floor this morning! That hard squash is very difficult to peel...and plenty of work to cube! I know my knives aren't very sharp and that didn't help one bit. Now I have this huge pot of veggies that is simmering. There is enough soup for eight people. I will blend some of it but leave some chunks later when its time to eat. I hope that Lincoln likes it a lot and I hope that Dale is very hungry when he arrives later in the evening.
Update:
The soup was good and full of good nutrients but I am not sure it was worth the sore wrist. Lincoln ate it very well and I sent lots home with him. It was an good experience...nice to try!

No comments: