Saturday, April 11, 2009

Holy Week

Holy week is filled with many memories and emotions. I came to learn more about those sacred days when my children were very little and we were a part of Old Stone United Methodist Church in Rock Falls Iowa. It was a small church with well worn pews much like the ones that I photographed at the Little Brown Church in Nashua. I took Jay to a Maundy Thursday dinner and we both listened and learned. He said that it sounded like an old Folk Tale. He was only about six years old. Over the years we spent many holy weeks attending and helping with special services at St. John Lutheran Church. Jay and I were just remembering draping the sanctuary in black to pull down the darkness and let in the light on Easter morning. Ashley just mentioned the refrain, "He is risen. He is risen indeed!" We have many memories of our times observing holy week. Most importantly we remember the very first Easter and celebrate what Jesus means to us and what he did for us. It is a special season in my heart and in my faith.

No comments: