Monday, April 6, 2009

County Courthouses of Iowa

I still like to color. As I mentioned before, I also like maps. Therefore, coloring maps is great fun! I had maps of the USA to color states when the kids were younger and still keep up with my map of states that I visit.
This map of Iowa pictured is for another project. As Dale and I started to explore Iowa a few years ago we discovered some beautiful county courthouses which he photographed. This led to the idea for him to photograph all of the courthouses in Iowa. We know that there are ninety-nine counties in our state, but one hundred county seats. So there may be one hundred courthouses. Time will tell! I decided to find and copy this map to help me keep track of where we have been. It's not unusual for us head out for a spontaneous road trip then ask, "Have we been to the county seat here?" The courthouses are not that exciting to me but the goal of exploring a bit of each county is Iowa is fun. Saturday when we were in Northern Iowa we were able to capture more images of a few courthouses. Although Ashley and I agree that it's a bit dorky, she and Travis got to ride along to the Floyd county courthouse. They must have been thrilled! Today I colored a few more counties and we did an official count. Dale has photographed seventy-nine courthouses. We have just twenty (or twenty-one) more to go!

No comments: