Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Seasons Are Changing

 Digging in the dirt today to plant tulip bulbs and iris made me think of Spring even though it is certainly a Fall activity. A couple of mornings this week made me think of Winter. See the ice that I found when I stopped by one of my favorite riverside parks for a quick lunch? It was a reminder that it was almost past time to get those bulbs and rhizomes in the dirt!
I like the change of seasons. Most of the leaves have fallen so it is feeling like late fall around here. Digging in the dirt reminds of of all the new life that comes after the deep freeze. It would be nice if I get some pink tulips in the Spring but I am most hopeful about the purple iris. They are my Grandma Stone's iris that I got from her years ago. While I was living in Des Moines these were safely growing at my sister, Cindy's house. I went there in September and split her iris, took some home and planted some of my daffodils in her yard. It's something to look forward to in the Spring, but first we have winter!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Thanks so much for the bulbs and your hard work at planting! It was greatly appreciated! I too, can't wait to see the beautiful, lovely sweet smelling purple iris' in your yard! It is heavenly to go smell the sweet smelling iris' and think of Grandma! That's why they are my favorite! Lots of luck on the wonderful blooms you hope for in the spring!