Monday, June 18, 2012

Crab Vacation


 Although we ate plenty of cheese steaks and ball park hot dogs, it was the crab that I was most excited about when we decided to travel to the Chesapeake Bay. Above is a yummy crab dip with bread sticks from a local place we found on the eastern shore of the bay.
  This was our view from the patio while eating crab cakes at Fish Whistle on a river near the bay. Below are the Atlantic Horseshoe Crabs that we saw on the Delaware and Chesapeake Bay. I had never seen anything like them. They were kind of creepy while strolling the beaches but they were also very interesting. This is not the kind of crab that we ate (as far as I know!)
 We only tried one Roadfood.com option and it was a very simple and local crab shack. The interior is pictured below. The cases are filled with fresh seafood (as far as I know) and it was soft shell crab season so we ordered one. That's Dale taking a bite; legs, pinchers, head and ALL. It's a unique experience. I had it once on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi too. I think twice may be enough for me!

The crab cakes served at Camden Yards in Baltimore were as good as the other crab cakes that we ate. It was certainly a unique experience to order crab cakes at a major league baseball game. We brought back a few crab souvenirs, even one for the Christmas tree. It was a "crabby" vacation for sure.

No comments: