Thursday, August 6, 2009

Naked Ladies

Today when I got out of my car at work I saw these beautiful blossoms blooming at the edge of the woods. It was a wonderful surprise that brought back memories of my grandma. She taught me so many things that I have many triggers that remind me of her regularly. She grew flowers like this in her yard and called them "naked ladies." She explained that the spring foliage dies back completely before the blooms appear with no foliage. Therefore they were called naked! Later I heard these same flowers referred to more often as Resurrection Lilys. It would be just like Grandma to use the less reverent name! Once Jill and I thought we were getting daffodil bulbs from Grandma's yard but realized we had made a mistake when the following summer we both had naked ladies in our yards!

No comments: