Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What a Fun Weekend

It was a wonderful weekend. I am slow about getting to blogging partially due to all the fun activities and partially due to my limited Internet connectivity, but that's another story!

Jay and Briana came down on Friday. We did not have any real plans but they were coming to town for a Saturday night concert and came early to spend some time with us in Des Moines.

We had no solid plans but decided to go out to the horse track since Jay had not been to this track and Briana had never been. Dale and I enjoy the atmosphere and the horses. We scope them out at the paddock then place our $2 bets. We stayed for three races. Dale and Briana were the winners, cashing in their tickets for the big bucks! After the evening at the horse track we stopped for some Thai food. It was after 9 pm when we ate dinner. That's really late for Dale and me
Saturday morning Briana and I decided to do "Yoga in the Park" which is a new program. Free yoga in the park on a gorgeous morning sounded like a great idea. Evidently about 200 other people thought it was a great idea also. There were men and women of all ages and skill levels. I was an obvious beginner but had a blast. We laughed too much to do some of the moves. The woman behind us encouraged us to listen to our bodies. Her body was telling her, "time to chill" and my body agreed sometimes. We were told to be "one with the earth." At times I took that one step further and just plopped on my belly. It's hard to be up on your toes and hands, sticking your damp butt up into the air while feeling grateful for the earth. I felt more grateful when the earth was touching more of my body! We were most grateful that Dale and Jay were walking and geocaching in the park so that they could drive us home!

We headed straight for the pool to cool off when we got home but couldn't stay long because we had plans. Dale and I were really anxious to take Jay to B&B Deli, the home of the Killer Sandwich. Jay ordered his sandwich with no veggies. Briana ordered hers with all veggies. The owner came out to take a picture of them. It was pretty funny!

After our killer sandwich picnic, we headed to the disc golf course. Jay has been playing quite a bit so we wanted to show him the course that we had discovered. Everybody else can throw lots further than me but I still enjoy it. We did a different part of the course this trip, very wooded and shady on a warm day. It was also a bit muddy from the recent rains. Of course Dale brought his camera and took some photos too. By the time we were done disc golfing, we were ready for the pool again. It was a great way to relax before cleaning up and heading to the book store then having dinner. Jay and Briana were headed to a concert so that's when Dale and I decided to go to a movie and ended up at the drive-in theater in Newton. By Saturday night we had packed in a full weekend worth of activities. It was so fun to hang out with Jay and Briana. Dale and I love showing the kids around Des Moines and all the fun places that we enjoy. It was great to have them visit. Have I mentioned recently that I just love having adult children? Life is good!!

2 comments:

Ashley Schrage said...

Travis and my ideal dinner time is 5:30 or 6. I'm not sure I could have made it to 9 :)

My favorite picture is the last one of you and Birdie. You both look very happy.

Do you enjoy adult children more than when we WERE kids?

LindaAlex said...

Ashley, I LOVED having little kids at home and knew that I would! I was surprised that it was so cool to have adult children. It was bittersweet to watch you two grow up and know that you wouldn't be little anymore. It's a huge bonus to enjoy both of you as adults so much!! I still miss the younger years from time to time, but these years are wonderful too.