Sunday, June 14, 2009

Lists of 100

I have mentioned our lists and here they are. When we explore, travel, photograph or dine we often look to out lists. We have visited 83 courthouses and many Carnegie Libraries, our own ideas for lists, photos and exploration. But these are my two favorite lists! This is what started it!
Shortly after I moved to Des Moines, one of these lists was in the Sunday Register. A few months later the other list appeared. I have saved these original lists which have started to yellow in my coffee table drawer. I have also downloaded and printed Word documents of each list. We keep one set in my vehicle and one in Dale's car. When we were first dating, I showed Dale the lists. We ate Tasty Tacos and Bauder's strawberry ice cream together and shared an enthusiasm for exploring more from the lists. Now we travel all over the state to visit a park, see a historical landmark, eat a pizza or taste a crepe. We have discovered new areas, met new people and tasted new flavors. We agree with many of the entries on the lists but there are several we would add if we were to create our own list. We have hit some road blocks along the way; a bakery closed by the health inspector, a restaurant burned to the ground and a couple of businesses that have closed. Now we are more likely to call ahead if possible. It's great to take Dale to the places that I have been and also wonderful to discover new areas where neither of us have ever been. I have lived in Iowa for fifty years but still see new things. The list may lead us to a location but then we will discover other things there and find another reason to explore there again. We have successfully experienced about 75% of the listings . . . so far! If you want a copy of the lists, just let me know. I will be glad to email it to you.

2 comments:

Kris Hoskinson said...

this is so cool! i'd love to have a copy of these lists!!! :) you are always so creative!

Chris Snider said...

At least one of these is still on our web site - the food one.

See it here

-Chris Snider
DesMoinesRegister.com