Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Ice Skating

We had so much fun ice skating on Sunday!




Last year when Jay and Briana came to Des Moines and spent some time ice skating I stayed on the side lines with my camera. After having a broken arm and a frozen shoulder I just did not feel brave enough to skate but I told Jay that I would do it "next winter." Now was the time. Travis thought it sounded like fun and Ashley was game. Dale was anxious to go and his kids were interested enough to join us. We had varying degrees of experience. Some had never skated. It had been thirty-seven years since I had been on skates. Travis had played some hockey in college and as you can see in the photo, he did remember his moves!



Ashley and Dale did a good job of offering support as I set out on my skates. I was pretty nervous! I did stay close to the rail for my first lap or two then felt pretty confident. Jay took a couple of laps with me and Travis offered to do a "whip" thing but I was not that brave. I did fall once but it was just a gentle "graceful" fall to my knees. Ok, so I doubt that it looked very graceful but it didn't hurt at all.



Dale was comfortable and did very well. I know he wasn't as nervous as me. Patrick, Val and Eric manuvered the ice very well too. It's amazing that we all survived without injury since we really did not have much experience. I have to admit, I was thrilled that I wasn't sore the next day. It wasn't a tough work out but I am sure that I used some muscles in different ways than usual.



We got a little chilled and had plenty of time on our skates in about an hour. It felt like a good time to go when they brought out the zamboni to smooth the ice. It was also the perfect time for a late lunch at Qudoba. Ice skating did provide a good appetite for burritos. It was a very fun afternoon for all of us.








No comments: