Wednesday, December 23, 2009

December Twenty Third

In my family December 23rd is a real holiday. It is the day that we have celebrated Christmas for decades! When we were little Mom and Dad decided that we would celebrate at home on the 23rd of every December because we traveled to grandparents on the 24th and 25th. As adults my siblings and I chose to retain that tradition to allow for in-laws and other family activities. Every year we gather on the 23rd regardless of the day of the week. That family gathering became my children's favorite part of the holiday celebration. We all love it!
Due to ice, sleet, snow and rain I will miss the gathering this year. This is the first time I have missed in fifty years! I guess we have been lucky about the weather. I must be getting more wise or cautions at my age. I have driven on some awful roads over the years but really do not want to risk a crash or an evening in the ditch. I will miss seeing my family tonight but will make plans to see them when the weather is safer. I know that they will have fun with lots of food and laughter. We always have fun. As you can see this photo is from 1967. I think we were posing for our Christmas card. That's Dan and me in the back row with Cindy and Sandi in the front. The family has grown quite a bit since this photo. If the weather was good there would be twenty-three of us gathering in Mason City tonight. Merry Christmas, Nonnweilers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda, you were truly missed by all and I wish you could have been there. I also, thought you made the right decision with the weather. We definitly want you at more Christmas gatherings!! We knew you were safe at home and will return for more fun when weather is better! I thought of you knowing you love those garage parties of Danny's! I will send you some pictures of the night and we will plan on you being at my home next year on the 23rd. Have a wonderful season with your family and loved ones, even if its in your heart, as you are mine. Love you and hope to see you soon. Cindy

Ashley Schrage said...

At first glance I thought that was Jay and I in the back row!