Sunday, September 20, 2009

Living History Farms

We planned our vacation so that we would arrive home on Friday and be able to to attend Photography Day at Living History Farms on Saturday. Again this year Ashley traveled to Des Moines to go with us. All three of us have learned lots and changed cameras or lenses this year. We also knew that there was plenty more for each of us to learn.

I learned a few things from the photographers who were available to answer questions. It was especially nice to get to be a part of conversations that Ashley was having with the photographers. She has not only changed her camera and lenses this year but also started her own photography business and is doing very well with portrait photography especially enjoying her newborn baby sessions.

I am often drawn back to the same still life photos when we go to Living History Farms. I love the simplicity of the 1900 farm especially in the kitchen area.

We were all interested in working on low light situations for photos. Backlighting is also a challenge for me so I enjoyed trying to get a photo of the sewing machine sitting in front of the bright window.




This checkerboard is also a low light challenge. Dale, Ashley and I all took a shot like this on Saturday. I think we all took a similar shot last year too. Although Dale and Ashley did much better than I with many of the low light situations at the farm, I think I may have gotten the best photo of the checkers. It's always fun to come home, hook up the laptop computers and look at each other's photos.




Ashley got a great shot of this little kitten drinking from the watering can below the outdoor pump. I didn't notice him then but did find him bathing in this barrel on the front porch. Although there are lots of people, strollers and a few cell phones around it still is fun to stroll back to a simpler time (with our high tech digital cameras, of course!)




Ashley taught me a few things about metering light off faces. This model was a willing subject for many photographers including Ashley and me. It was interesting to hear how she determines her lighting and focus. I think I learned lots. It was a fun day and especially fun to share with Ashley. You can see some of her photos on her blog.





1 comment:

Ashley Schrage said...

look! there's me in my uniform :)