Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Souvenir Magnets

My refrigerator has transformed over the years. It was full of photographs or the artwork of children for many years. Now it's home to my souvenir magnets. I started my collection more than ten years ago. Magnets make a very inexpensive souvenir and require very little time shopping. I really do not like to waste much travel time shopping. It's a very visible way to display vacation memories in a small space. During my first couple of years in Des Moines, I spent forty hours a week in a gray cubicle. My magnets lived on the gray metal cabinet and brightened my work week during that time. Now my magnets are back at home. Last year when we traveled to D.C. and Virginia I added several magnets, even a few from race tracks. Is that crazy? That I would go to a race track on vacation? Yes, I think so as well. But Dale has fun so I enjoy my time with him. I am so looking forward to gathering more souvenir magnets in the near future!

I also feel the need to mention my decorative display on top of the refrigerator. I have always felt that the top should be uncluttered. OK, I think most things should be uncluttered! But ten years ago for my fortieth birthday, the grease catcher and salt & pepper set were a gift from my good friend, Ann. She and I has seen this in a hardware store over the years and laughed at the fact that it must have been on the shelves for about twenty years. This was a small town store and the inventory did not turn over often. It made me laugh when she actually bought it for me and brought it to my party. It still makes me smile and deserves the place of honor. Someday I may give it to my brother Dan, who envied the well designed grease catcher!

1 comment:

Aubrey Leisinger said...

In case you care, I like to look back at this particluar picture of all your magnets because it reminds me of when you were at Penn. Your magnets make me smile! I miss you them and you :)