Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dumpster Diving?

Saturday night Dale and I went to a Drake football game and I arrived home about 10 pm. It was such a nice evening, that I decided to grab the garbage out of my car before going in. I parked in my garage, grabbed several beverage containers, napkins and papers and headed over to the dumpster after closing the garage door. After tossing the garbage into the dumpster, I moved toward my front door with my keys in hand. I took a quick inventory. I had my purse, my phone, my camera, but where was the remote control for the garage. I had it in the same hand as the garbage! Although I was almost certain, a quick trip back to the dumpster confirmed that my remote was on the bottom of the dumpster. Yes, on the bottom. It was emptied on Saturday...DARN!! Nobody could reach the bottom of that and keep their feet on the ground. I looked around, no young men to ask for help. I considered getting a chair to boost myself and dive into the dumpster head first, but that thing is just nasty gross!

I remember hearing that you can do anything with duct tape, so I decided to test that theory. I came in and got out my duct tape and a yard stick. I never use those yard sticks for anything anymore, but fortunately I kept them! I cut a piece of duct tape and attached it to the end of the yard stick with an extra loop of tape, sticky side out. I returned to the dumpster and reached over the edge. I firmly pressed the tape to the remote and lifted. It worked!! I pulled out my remote in one attempt. I was so very proud of myself!

1 comment:

Ashley Schrage said...

WOW. first i am proud that you looked for a man to help. i would have done the same thing :) second, i can't believe you got it on your first try, thats amazing.