Sunday, September 5, 2010

Labor Day Weekend, Part One

It has been a wonderful holiday weekend and it's only half done! We started out early by watching Jake play sophomore football with the Mason City Mohawks on Thursday. They traveled to Des Moines and beat the team from Hoover. I love watching Jake and sitting in the stands with Dan and Jill. Jake played very well. This is his big touchdown!!
Although football has already started we wanted to catch another Iowa Cubs baseball game before the end of summer. Friday evening was a beautiful weather. Notice the sweatshirts and jacket? It was chilly but so nice to feel the crisp fresh air . . . more like fall than summer! I-Cubs won and the hot dog and peanuts were delicious!

Saturday was a gorgeous day and I wanted to be outside. Dale and I went for a quick visit to the zoo with our cameras. As always, the giraffes are my favorites. I think that they are absolutely beautiful but then I look closely at these photos of Jacoby, the young male giraffe and notice those nobby parts of his head and wonder why I see so much beauty, but I do. They are gorgeous!

The next stop on Saturday was the Latino Festival. The performers are always entertaining. Dancing, music, costumes and horses! This little boy was so intense and fun to watch as he concentrated on his rope. We also got tasty Latino foods; tamales and a burrito. It's always a very colorful festival and it was fun this year too.


Saturday evening was the first Drake home football game. The weather was perfect. After feeling chilly on Thursday and Friday evening, I was prepared with a big blanket but I didn't need it on Saturday. It was a pleasant night at Drake Stadium but they lost the game. I am sure that the Drake football team plays better when they come back to the home field in October. It's fun to go to the games, no crowd, easy tickets and plenty of parking!

No comments: