Saturday, June 5, 2010

Minnesota Twins

The initial motivation for Dale
and me to go to the Twin Cities
over Memorial Day weekend was to visit Target Field, new home to the Minnesota Twins.
I do love to visit major league ball parks and this one was extra special. Back in the late eighties Jay, Ashley and I were big Minnesota Twins fans.

This is a photo of Jay, Ashley and their dad is at the Metrodome in 1988. I never loved the Metrodome but I think it gave me a real appreciation for outdoor ball parks. We were familiar with lots of players back then but Kirby Puckett was a favorite. That's me above by his statue at the new park. Don't Jay and Ashley look cute all decked out for a Twins game? Ashley's Kirby Puckett doll still lives in my guest room. I had the doll's uniform made especially for Ashley after finding the right Cabbage Patch Doll to be her Kirby Puckett. Jay wore his Twins jersey often and was ready to photograph the players on the field that day.

I was quite impressed by Target Field. It has a very unique appearance from outside of the park. Its a great place to watch a game and we got to see the Twins beat the Rangers who we had just visited in Texas last month. Minnesota seems to be embracing outdoor baseball. The game was sold out. The scalpers were charging three times face value for tickets. We chose to buy standing room only tickets because that was all that was left at the ticket counters. The atmosphere was great. Its a beautiful ball park. I hope to go back again, maybe with the kids next time!

No comments: