Monday, June 7, 2010

Fishing Weekend

Once a year Iowa offers a free fishing weekend allowing people to fish without a license. Since Dale and I barely used our fishing licenses last year we thought this would be a good weekend to get out our fishing poles without the expense of two licenses. We fished on Saturday and we fished on Sunday. We went to Mine Pond, Q-Pond, Lake Ahquabi, Moffitt Reservoir and Water Works Park. Sadly this was the only fish that we were able to get on a hook. We had some nibbles and sacrificed a few nightcrawlers but did not catch anything until the last hour of fishing on Sunday. It may be a tiny little fish but I was thrilled when I reeled it in to the shore.


I thought we would fish just one day but after coming up with nothing on Saturday I was motivated to go again on Sunday. I lost a couple of lures on snags. Dale even climbed out on a dead tree to find the right spot, but no fish! We did see some turtles, dragon flies and butterflies. We got to watch storms roll in and back out on Saturday. Sunday we got a beautiful sunny and breezy day. Finally I did catch my tiny fish and felt content with my fishing weekend. As always, I was grateful that Dale was there to take the poor thing off the hook for me. We set it back in the water to swim off but it may never see out of its right eye again. That may be the extent of our fishing this year but we did enjoy some beautiful areas on a nice June weekend.

No comments: