Friday, November 13, 2009

Early November

If anyone has checked my blog lately they probably think that I have not been doing much. That's not the case but I have not taken many photos and I have not blogged. Dale and I went to a Drake women's basketball game a couple of weeks ago. Last weekend I went to a Drake men's basketball game with my girlfriend, Jennifer, a couple of her friends and her 11 year old son. It was fun to watch the Drake players start a new season but I think that the most fun was sharing the excitement with an 11 year old. He even caught a free t-shirt and got lots of high fives from the players.
Last Sunday my friend, Tammy called to tell me about an event that she thought I might enjoy. Dale was interested too so we headed out to a beautiful farm yard west of town to see an "Earthdog Test." It was a perfectly gorgeous November afternoon with a beautiful cornfield, a cool old barn and lots of dachshunds and terriers. We met dogs and dog-people while we spent time with Tammy and Sadie. The test itself takes place underground where the dogs work their way through tunnels to find the rat, which is protected in a cage. I guess these dogs are bred for that just like a herder is bred to herd. It was fun to learn and we were fortunate to meet a couple of women who were so gracious to teach us and share the day. I even got to hold a beautiful longhaired dachshund puppy. I didn't even know that I thought dachshunds could be cute! November has been very good so far.

No comments: