Sunday, July 26, 2009

Summertime Fun

It's been a great week with near perfect summer weather. Although Dale and I had spent Monday evening at Principal Park, we accepted when we were offered a friend's season tickets for Wednesday night. We rearranged our schedules a bit and enjoyed the perfect evening. Perfect except the I Cubs did lose again!

Friday night was the kick off for the 48 Hour Film Project in Des Moines. Dale and I have been helping our friends from Cedar Falls for several years. We go to the kick off event and draw the genre and get the information about the required elements.

This saves Scott and Julie two hours of production time and lets us get involved. We are anxious to see Scott's film at the screening on Thursday night. Forty-one teams were entered in the competition which requires that the film be completed in 48 hours. Although Dale and I do very little, we get excited about the event!

Saturday night we had several ideas including Barnstormer Arena Football or Ladies Roller Derby...yes, they actually really do have roller derby and we think it might be fun to go one time...some other time. Because of the gorgeous weather on Saturday night I wanted to go to the Des Moines Menace Soccer game. It was the first play off game for the national competition which is down to eight teams. I do not understand soccer very well but enjoyed the people watching, the game and the kettle corn.

I always love mascots and I think that Maniac is one of the best mascots in the city. He is pretty cute and does a great job of working the crowd and playing with the kids as he cheers. The Menace won and will host the national championships next weekend at Valley Stadium, very close to my house. By next weekend we will be doing different things...possibly arena football and definitely a nascar race. Let the summer continue!

1 comment:

- The Des Moines Menace Maniac said...

Thank you for your kind comments about me! I'm glad my efforts are being noticed and appreciated!

Looking forward to seeing you in 2010 when we defend our Championship!

GO MENACE!