Friday, July 3, 2009

Zoo Brew

Volunteerism is a passion for me. When I first moved to Des Moines, I wanted to find community, connections and the opportunity to serve through volunteering. So much of what I do for my jobs and past volunteering involves direct contact helping other people. I was anxious to try something different. Blank Park Zoo has been one of my favorite places to volunteer in Des Moines. Wednesday evenings in July, the zoo hosts Zoo Brew for adults. It works with my schedule because it is an evening event. It’s a wonderful chance to experience the zoo in a very different way. There are no children. Beer or wine is served and there is a live band. It is a great event that reaches out to all ages of adults and makes money for the zoo. Although I have never been a bartender, this volunteer opportunity has given me that experience. I even make great tips for the zoo! I have also served as the volunteer for giraffe feedings. I love that but it does take up most of the day on a Saturday or Sunday so my other weekend activities limit that schedule. I do love photographing the giraffes, so I will take my camera the next time that I do a giraffe feeding.

No comments: