Saturday, May 5, 2012

What's up in May

 Look, my kitchen garden is up and growing! I am most excited by the tiny garlic plants! I really want to make my own garlic braids in the fall! This post is about my gardens but I had to include a photo of my favorite little garden buddy. I think he might be more interested next year but I enjoy it so much when Lincoln and Ashley come over for some garden time.

 This row of lettuce is pretty exciting too. There is a row of spinach right behind it too. These are first time attempts for me but I fear that the bunnies will get to them before I do!
 The kitchen garden is right by the patio which makes it fun to watch closely. I will add color and flowers in pots. The pansies are very happy this spring and the flowering vine growing up the trellis is a bonus from the previous owners. . . a nice surprise.
 I thought these were pretty generic bushes until the little pink flowers appeared this week. They are practically hidden by huge hostas but it's been interesting to see all the plants popping up and coming to life. This yard is full of wonderful surprises. The iris below is a beautiful surprise. The buds are almost black and the flower is gorgeous. It's growing right outside the family room window so I can enjoy it easily while I sit in my big "grammy chair" and knit! This is all so fun.

This seems to be a bit of a jungle but it's got so many unique plants. This bed was a sea of daffodils at Easter time. Now the hostas, ferns, day lilies and ground cover are getting so full that I have to keep my eyes open for the peonies, salvia and geraniums coming through. The dandelions are not adding to be beauty but I just haven't taken the time to get in there and dig!
 These precious little blossoms are all in my new "cottage garden" by the front door. I don't know their names but I am enjoying the daily changes very much! I'm so happy to have these shasta daisies by my front door too. I always had them on Coventry Lane and they were Ashley's favorite.

1 comment:

Kymm said...

What a lovely day! What a lovely life you're making, too. I'm so happy for you, my dear friend!