Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Day

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite days of the year. Traditions have changed but some things remain the same; lots of good food and family. This year I traveled to Mason City to celebrate and eat with my sisters and their families. I got to spend some time with nieces and nephews that I don't get to see often. It was a good day.


This year I made the desserts. I took a chance and found some recipes that were less traditional but more interesting to me. I was pleased with the results and even though we were stuffed from a huge turkey dinner we did sample slivers of pie. I made a Chocolate Bourbon Pecan pie which is so yummy and not quite as sweet as the basic pecan pie. I also made a Walnut Crunch Pumpkin pie that was very delicious too. We ate them on Thursday and are still eating the pies on Friday. They taste just as good today.


Since both pies had lots of nuts I decided to make one more dessert with no nuts. I found these Pumpkin Swirl Brownies and they were a big hit. The truth is that we cut into these brownies before dinner was served. It's not the usual appetizer but they looked to good to risk that we might be too full after dinner! We ate, talked, laughed, cooked, washed dishes and some of us watched football. It was a wonderful holiday. I left in the late afternoon to head to Cedar Falls/Waterloo for the next gathering. The holiday continues!

1 comment:

Ashley Schrage said...

I really feel like I missed out on the brownies!