Sunday, February 22, 2009

Volunteering at 801 Grand

Sunday morning my friend, Jennifer and I did our annual shift for the American Lung Association. When I first moved to Des Moines I looked for opportunities to volunteer. I have always been passionate about volunteering and I knew that it would be a good way to meet people. When I met the volunteer coordinator for the ALA, I offered my services. I invited Jennifer to join me and this is our third year helping at the 801 Grand Power Climb. Climbers race up 40 floors of the tallest building in Iowa after gathering donations to fight lung disease. Jennifer and I have wisely decided to skip the stairs and ride the elevator up to the fortieth floor where we organize and manage the buffet table at the finish line. We are in constant motion for at least five hours, serving hundreds of pieces of fruit, pastries and bagels along with gallons of water and coffee. We have a system and enjoy the morning lots. It feels good to contribute to an important cause and meeting the climbers of all ages is a bonus. We are looking forward to next year already.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudos on your good work today! If you ever could use a hand coordinating your volunteer gigs - please give us a try -

www.VolunteerSpot.com - free online volunteer scheduling, singups and reminders. - kind of like Evite juiced for volunteering.

Kent said...

As one of the firefighters, I just wanted to say thank you for all your service yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for running one of the most organized events I have participated in.

You guys did an amazing job! I can't wait to do it again next year!

Linda Hansen said...

So fun to keep up with what you are doing. I can not believe that it has been 3 years in Des Moines.